If you would like to seek guidance regarding accommodations please contact SUNY Cortland Disability Resources.
policy and Procedures
A medical diagnosis requiring a modified diet can be challenging. Dining Services is committed to serving guests with special dietary needs.
Labeling of Menu Items
To make food selection easier, we label all menu items* to identify the presence of the top 8 allergens (milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish). We also designate items that are without gluten.* This information is found on the digital menu boards in each dining location, as well as on our website. See our full list of symbols
Allergy Awareness Areas
At Neubig Dining and The Bistro, we have specially designated Allergy Awareness Areas which include a self-serve fridge and cupboard. In addition to stocking foods that do not contain gluten, these areas also contain a number of items to meet the needs of guests with food allergies.
- Allergen-free items such as vegan butter, dairy-free sliced cheese, dairy-free cream cheese, sunflower seed butter, and jelly
- Milk alternatives such as lactose-free milk, soy milk, almond milk, and oat milk
- Gluten-free items such as cereal, bread, hamburger buns, wraps, bagels, and granola
- A dedicated toaster and microwave for preparing these items
- Gluten-free and/or dairy-free pizza, grilled cheese, and quesadillas can be made to order. Some items take longer to prepare, so please call ahead or allow yourself time to wait for these foods.
- Gluten-free bread, bagels, and hamburger buns
- Allergen-free items such as vegan butter, vegan mayonnaise, sunflower seed butter, dairy-free cheese and, dairy-free cream cheese
- Milk alternatives such as soy milk and almond milk
- Gluten-free pasta and grains served on the hotline
- Guten-free pizza can be made to order
Many of the foods we prepare in Neubig Dining and The Bistro are naturally free of gluten. Look for foods marked with GF — our Gluten-Friendly logo. Items marked with this logo have been reviewed to have been made without gluten. However, because they are prepared in a common kitchen that is not gluten-free, the possibility of cross-contact remains.
Other Campus Dining Locations
At dining locations throughout campus, you can find alternatives to dairy milk such as soy and almond milks and you can ask for your sandwich to be made on gluten-free bread. Hilltop Dining also has gluten-free pizza and granola available.
Most guests with medically restricted diets are able to meet their needs using the resources described above. However, some may have more extensive dietary needs, such as a non-top 8 food allergy or the need for a mechanical soft diet. On a case-by-case basis, Dining Services can provide reasonable dietary accommodations to meet these needs.
Procedures for Guests Requesting Special Dietary Accommodations
- Make an initial appointment with Jeff Scott, Director of Dining Services at Cortland.Dining.Nutrition@cortland.edu
- Provide documentation from a licensed medical provider stating the diet order and diagnosis. Diagnosis of food allergies must be based on standardized, proven diagnostic procedures.
- Communicate regularly with dining management and the nutritionist. If you choose not to use the special arrangements set up for you for three consecutive days without notice, those services may be suspended until you contact the nutritionist or dining manager. Please communicate with us regularly, so that we may have the foods you need available for you.
- Remind food handlers of specific allergies or medical nutrition needs.
• For more information about menus, recipes, ingredients, and food preparation methods, contact Regina Ludovico, Registered Dietitian at email@example.com, or Jeff Scott, Director of Dining Services at Cortland.Dining.Nutrition@cortland.edu
• If you have a question about the ingredients or preparation of an item, do not hesitate to speak with a manager or supervisor at any of our dining locations. They will be happy to assist you.
* Disclaimer: The possibility exists that food manufacturers may change the formulation of products without our knowledge. Dining Services can assume no liability for these changes.